Wednesday, June 4, 2008

How is this about love?

“How is this about love?” has been a question on my mind and heart lately.

Along with studying for my final exam of a statistics class (that has consumed much of my discretionary time in the last 10 weeks; um hmm, I'm counting), I am also doing some fretting over the exam. Yes, sadly I am: even though, I quickly tell myself and family, I don’t need “the grade,” nor have any need to fear doing badly.

In asking myself where love is – as I anticipate this statistics test – I realize that I can choose my focus. It can be on either achieving a high grade, OR on aiming to learn concepts that will enable me to interpret research accurately and share what’s learned in hopes of ultimately increasing wellness in myself and others.

It seems that love would have me do the latter. That change in focus makes a difference – in my body (decrease in stress hormones, fewer frenetic movements), in my emotions (less irritable, more settled, increase in calm), and in my spirit (release of needing accomplishment, openness to significance beyond a grade, ability to be present in the moment). Love takes me to a better place.

God is love. When we take up permanent residence in a life of love, we live in God and God lives in us… Well-formed love banishes fear. Since fear is crippling, a fearful life – fear of death, fear of judgment – is one not yet fully formed in love.
We, though, are going to love – love and be loved.
First we were loved, now we love. He loved us first.

- I John 4: 16, 18, 19

I invite you too to ask:
How have my moments this day been about love?

“Where there is no love, put love, and you will find love.”
- John of the Cross

No comments: