Friday, November 27, 2009

Walk humbly

My mind is occupied lately with both gratitude and giving. I appreciated a conversation I had recently that encompasses both: a gal who is living on the margin and with need had the courage to come to our middle-class Sunday School class discussing Shane Claborne's "Irresistible Revolution" and speak out. It remains somewhat difficult for me to let myself ache with the world's pain of need, but I am attempting to do so in God's arms and love. And even in the midst of need, there can be reason to give thanks. This new acquaintance pointed out that though there are those that don't have much materially, there is often something they find blessing in or are blessed by, like maybe more community because they are interdependent.
I need not pity them while I give fro
m material abundance, instead I can respect them, realize my own need in various other ways, and walk humbly side by side with my fellow sojourners.

He has showed you, O wo/man, what is good.

And what does the LORD require of you?

To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. - Micah 6:8

No comments: