Monday, March 22, 2010

Source

Images of water have been on my mind. A spiritual friend shared an image of floating on clear calm water. It’s Lent and I’m reading in the gospels about living water. And some other New Testament words - “welled up” - have reminded me lately of one of my favorite watering spots. There’s a place where pipe reaches into underground springs and water gushes continually: it is one of my favorite spots in our family’s favorite campground of Temperance River State Park. That fresh cold water always delights me - I love the idea of drinking water filtered by God’s good earth, and the constancy of its flow thrills me. The seemingly endlessness and purity of the water gives me great joy, and reminds me of the importance of Source.

The following quote also reminds me of importance of Source, and of my desire to be sourced in the Divine. (Oh, that I might be in God's love and joy!)

"Once I “know” God, that is, once I experience his love as the love in which all my human experiences are anchored, I can only desire one thing: to be in that love. “Being” anywhere else, then, is shown to be illusory and eventually lethal...

...the saints... knew with their heart that outside God nothing is, nothing breathes, nothing moves and nothing lives...this makes me aware that the basis of all ministry rests not in the moral life but in the mystical life. The issue is not to live as well as we can, but to let our life be one that finds its source in the Divine life.” – Henri Nouwen, P 49 Gracias

No comments: