Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Supplements and spring

"Every spring is the only spring - a perpetual astonishment." - Ellis Peters

On this first Wednesday of April, I want to mention a couple of suggestions for living well:

1) taking advantage of the good of some supplements, and

2) noticing the good of spring.

Supplements first: Quite recently I had my annual physical. Though I really liked my new family practice doctor, I was rather surprised she didn’t ask any questions about the unusual supplement I take called Azomite (stands for A to Z Of Minerals Including Trace Elements; it is inspiration for the “dirt” part of my “Dee’s Dirt” blog name). For the last dozen years I’ve consistently consumed the strange powder – that’s been tested as a fertilizer and as an animal feed supplement, but not, that I’ve seen anyway, as a human supplement – and I’m convinced it’s given me a boost in energy, emotional stability, and immunity. Maybe it is placebo effect, but I’d rather believe that the ‘dirt’ of Azomite brings a good result: because Azomite contains minerals, and minerals feed enzymatic reactions, and the body uses enzymes for almost every metabolic function, I think it does this body good!

There’s certainly other supplements that do a body good AND have been researched for human consumption. A work colleague recently shared a cool web site that makes it easier to see at a glance which supplements may be worth pursuing. Check out this visual presentation that portrays various dietary supplements in terms of the reliability of scientific evidence for a variety of ailments that they're purported to help resolve. Possibly this info will inform your health choices? Go to

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play/snake-oil-supplements/

[A quick help in viewing the visual: The ‘bubbles’ nearer the top have strongest scientific evidence for health benefits in adults. Size of the bubble indicates popularity based on number of Google hits. Look for the “show me” tab page right to see helps for specific needs or conditions. Toward the bottom of the page is a link “this Google Doc” that brings you to the citations. So cool!]

And now a word about spring: I LOVE spring – it makes me happier, which contributes to wellness. The new life I witness daily as spring unfolds lifts me. And spring holds moments of soaking in more sun rays (and Vitamin D), listening to bird song, seeing more green (A Swedish study published in 2003 found a statistically significant relationship between access to green spaces and reduced experiences of stress-related illnesses), and enjoying the beauty of blossoms, to name just a few of spring’s gifts.

May this spring month be for you too a reminder of all the good ‘stuff’ for our body, soul, and spirit – bodies that benefit from food and supplements, minds that recognize the benefits in everyday, and spirits that enjoy beauty and God’s lovingkindness.

May God himself, the God who makes everything holy and whole, make you holy and whole, put you together—spirit, soul, and body—and keep you fit for the coming of our Master, Jesus Christ. - I Thessalonians 5:23

"And Spring arose on the garden fair,
Like the Spirit of Love felt everywhere;
And each flower and herb on Earth's dark breast
rose from the dreams of its wintry rest."
- Percy Bysshe Shelley, The Sensitive Plant

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

i took my dirt today too and am also convinced it makes a difference :) mom - i love you and all of your shared wisdom! besos