Thursday, October 27, 2011

Good writing

"The secret of good writing is to say an old thing in a new way or a new thing in an old way."
- Richard Harding Davis, journalist and author (1864-1916)

I recently read an etymology - and it resonates with me - on the word "religion": the derivation comes from ligare "bind, connect," probably from a prefixed re-ligare, i.e. re (again) + ligare or "to reconnect."

I like this idea of religion being about reconnecting. Reconnecting to ourselves and to God can be enhanced through what I read. Good writing both makes me think, and reconnects me to self, world, and spiritual other-worldly. This Richard Rohr writing draws me to think, seems to say an old thing in a new way, and re-connects me with God/wisdom.

"The essential religious experience is that you are being “known through” more than knowing anything in particular yourself...

We call this new way of knowing contemplation, non-dualistic thinking, or “third-eye” seeing. Such prayer, such seeing, takes away your anxiety about figuring it all out fully for yourself, or needing to be right about your formulations.

At this point, God becomes more a verb than a noun, more a process than a conclusion, more an experience than a dogma, more a personal relationship than an idea. There is Someone dancing with you now, and you are not afraid of making mistakes."

Adapted from The Naked Now: Learning to See as the Mystics See, p. 23

No comments: