Tuesday, December 16, 2008

To adore

My favorite Christmas hymn is “O Come Let us Adore Him.” I’ve had a difficult time articulating just why this invitation to adore “Christ the Lord” is a draw for me, but the following quote brings me closer to some understanding. I certainly recognize my inner poverty, and think I am finally ready to begin to lose myself in the depths and richness of unitive oneness with God.

“To adore. That means to become lost in the unfathomable, to plunge in to the Inexhaustible, to find peace in the Incorruptible… It is to offer oneself to the all consuming and transforming Fire of divine live, to let oneself consciously and voluntarily be annihilated in the measure that one becomes aware of one’s inner poverty.

To adore means to give of one’s deepest to One whose depth has no end

To adore is to lose oneself unitively in God.”

– Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, the Divine Milieu

May your holiday season include depth, treasure, unity.

No comments: