Saturday, January 17, 2009

To be you

Today I went cross country skiing. Generous friends outfitted me and taught me a few fundamentals (thank you Nordgrens!). This was the first time in 30 years and only the second time ever for me to be on cross country skis, so I have to admit - I did some falling (aside from the humiliation, falling is not so bad: it's kinda exciting and the snow is soft!). I noticed that I had to concentrate some on learning the basics, but beyond that, the more I leaned in to the instinctual and didn't try too hard or think too much, the better it all went, especially the downhills.

Besides gift of the reminder to let my instincts lead -- adding to the experience -- the day was beautiful. Big flakes of softly falling snow graced our time.

Snow

Flakes of individuality, Endless different shaped,
All join to make one blanket, To cover all landscapes,

Little gentle ice crystals, Falling softly from the sky,
Effortlessly form such beauty, Without ever having to try,

Another of nature's gifts to us, To show us what to do,
You don't have to try to be beautiful, You just simply have to be you...