Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Learned optimism

I am fascinated by what ‘works’ in life. Researcher Martin Seligman, University of Pennsylvania psychologist, who pioneered thinking about learned helplessness, has also written on “learned optimism.” He has found that people fare best in life’s challenges with different strategies for whether the news is good or bad.

“If the news is good, the healthiest people think, ‘This is always how it is in all sorts of situations, and it came about as a result of my efforts.’ When the news is bad, those same healthy people use an opposite attributional strategy: ‘That was awful, but it was due to this one fluky event, out of my control and unlikely to happen again or to apply to other parts of my life.’ Good news viewed as pervasive, long-lasting, and generated by your own actions; bad news viewed as just the opposite.”
[Quote from my favorite book on stress, Robert M. Sapolsky's Why Zebras Don’t Get Ulcers: A Guide to Stress, Stress-Related Diseases, and Coping. Seligman’s book is entitled Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life, 2006.]

At first glance, does it seem like the approaches are a bit incongruent? But hey, if it works, it’s worth attention. Embracing opposites is getting seemingly easier as I get older; so I'm in.

May this month be full of numerous and pleasant discoveries of what ‘works’ for you.


P.S. It's spring! On a walk yesterday, I saw some trout lily blossoms - a sweet treat of spring. Not at all a result of any of my efforts, but none-the-less the beauty brings me to a place of optimism!

No comments: