Sunday, October 5, 2008

New lands

"One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

During discussions in this election season, I am both enjoying lively interactions and recognizing uneasiness in myself. I have a deep respect for not only varying opinions, but also for any willingness to truly listen to differing viewpoints. I have an even greater respect for another and for myself when there is a willingness to consider a change in thinking.
But I am also acutely aware of my rather bipolar feelings around change: I have a fair amount of discomfort with a new way of thinking or being, as well as excitement that change may indicate or lead to newness, and that God is gracing me with willingness to step into some change.

Change: both unsettling and life-giving. It feels akin to discovering new lands after consenting to lose sight of the shore for a long time.

No comments: