Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Colas and changes

My kids know that I believe regular consumption of soda pop is an unhealthy practice. So when I come across research that confirms its ill effects on the body, I pass it along (only because I care!), even though I know the hearing of it may be unwanted. I recently read this piece:

“Despite their global popularity, there's nothing remotely healthy about cola beverages: Drinking 16 ounces or more daily (whether diet or regular) doubles your risk of chronic kidney disease, according to a recent NIH study of more than 900 people (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17525693). The researchers already knew that consuming any type of soft drink--the average American adult guzzles 59 gallons' worth per year--is associated with several risk factors for kidney disease (hypertension, diabetes, and kidney stones), but the spike in the cola category was remarkable. Experts suspect that the ingredient phosphoric acid may be the culprit; it's been repeatedly linked to "urinary changes that promote kidney stones," say the study authors. Cola has an additional knock against it: Consumption is associated with significantly lower bone density in women, increasing the risk of osteoporosis and bone fractures, says a separate study.

Bottom Line: If you're going to indulge in an occasional soda, go for Sprite, 7-Up, ginger ale, and the like--the NIH study found that noncola drinks didn't have the same impact on the kidneys. But you'll be better off if you skip soda altogether, even the sugar-free varieties: Recent research showed an association between drinking diet soda and weight gain.” [From http://women.webmd.com/features/wise-answers-old-wives-tales?page=2]

To dismiss dark colas is easy for me as I don’t care to drink them, but I do consume other beverages that are harmful and that aren’t so easy for me to dismiss. Last week at “The Addicted Brain” class I attended I learned that damage done to the hippocampus (part of the limbic system of the brain with major roles in memory; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocampus) by the consumption of alcohol is irreversible after age 40.

Information does help shape my choices: I have some changes to make.

1 comment:

Christopher Tassava said...

*shudder*

Great information, if scary. I guess coffee really is the lesser of two caffeinated evils.