Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thankful, saying, thinking

One of my most helpful wellness practices is to recount what I am thankful for. These days around Thanksgiving brings this practice to the front of many Americans’ minds: often we even say it out loud to each other.

Words are powerful and affect our thoughts!

“The simple fact of saying anything has the real effect of binding that thing in our thoughts. I have found that it is no use to pray to be kept from thinking wrongly unless at the same time I am willing to have all my words censored by the Holy Spirit also…every refusal and thrusting back of the wrong speaking, means deliverance from the wrong thinking….For the interplay and connection between thought and some expression of the thought is so inseparable, that every expression by word of mouth impresses the thought more deeply on the mind, so that one simply cannot stop thinking about the things one speaks about.” – Hannah Hurnard, p 57 Winged Life

No comments: