Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I am grateful

He who receives a benefit with gratitude repays the first installment on his debt.
- Seneca (On Benefits, 2.22.1)

Today I laughed heartily - at myself and my cheapo tendencies. But what made it most fun was that the laughs were shared with a patient and generous woman (her title is "convention services manager") who was willing to join in on the amusement. (She laughed with me instead of getting irritated at me for asking if we might order an eighth rather than a fourth of a cheese and cracker plate, when the offer of a fourth was already a huge accommodation).

Recalling this instance brings a smile and causes me to want to recount some happenings lately for which I am grateful (just a few for now, more later):

- for Becky B. and the fun we're having planning an event (who knew talking about buffets and platters could be such delight? - thank you, Becky, it's the interaction with you that makes it so!);

- for son Seth playfully offering up a picture from the past (so good to see you emailing and back to your witty and dry humor, Seth, and I loved your invitation to "Name That Menning Brother!");

- for daughter Becky sharing her feelings and experiences with her folks (still do and always will love your expressiveness and sensitivity, Becky);

- for Gregg who listens to and loves me and even occasionally cooks for me (great chili tonight, Gregg '-)).

"Gratitude is riches. Complaint is poverty."
- Doris Day

No comments: