Wednesday, February 3, 2010

the thought that counts

“It’s the thought that counts.” Admittedly, sometimes we like our loved ones to follow a thought through with some action, but don’t our hearts (for both guys and gals) soften when we know there is loving thoughtfulness toward us?

It’s the thought that counts in more ways than consideration toward another. Here’s a rather odd application of how the thought affects the body:

A research study – that I read just recently and am fascinated by – looked at bringing attentive consciousness (thought!) to what was one was doing.

“Ellen Langer and Alia J. Crum, got hotel housekeepers who reported doing little or no exercise to recognize the physical nature of their jobs; telling half of a group of 84 that their days spent bending, stretching, and lifting were similar to workouts at a gym. Four weeks later, those 42 chambermaids had lost an average of 2 pounds each, reduced their percentage of body fat, and lowered their blood pressure – all while reporting no changes in eating habits, even less physical activity during their off hours, and (according to their bosses) the same level of work.” - from “The Art of Living Mindfully” about Ellen Langer’s work, in “The Chronicle Review” (Jan 8, 2010)

Whatever you do, do your work heartily (from the soul) as for the Lord rather than for men – Colossians 3:23

Intentions do matter. Being intentionally mindful makes a difference!

Mindful
Every day I see or hear something that more or less

kills me with delight, that leaves me like a needle

in the haystack of light.
It was what I was born for - to look, to listen,

to lose myself inside this soft world - to instruct myself over and over

in joy, and acclamation. Nor am I talking about the exceptional,

the fearful, the dreadful, the very extravagant -
but of the ordinary, the common, the very drab,

the daily presentations.

Oh, good scholar, I say to myself, how can you help

but grow wise with such teachings as these -
the untrimmable light


of the world, the ocean's shine, the prayers that are made

out of grass?

~ Mary Oliver ~ (Why I Wake Early)

No comments: