Thursday, March 20, 2008

Deep gladness

Amidst the stimulating conversation with friends at supper last night a favorite quote came up:
“The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet.”
–Frederick Buechner

As I considered today whether to accept an offer to work more hours at a similar job as my present half-time employment, I let those words inform me. Though they speak to an ideal for which our realities don’t always allow indulgence (at present my reality is a job that contributes to the family income but does not much feed my soul), I still want to keep looking for the places of deep hunger around me and identify my areas of deep gladness. I have the luxury of some choices regarding employment (and a caring, supportive husband!), but even without that, many of us have some discretionary time to look for the intersection of another’s hunger and our gladness. [For example: posting to this blog is a gladness to me! And maybe it meets somebody’s hunger for living increasingly well?]

How about you – are you looking for and finding places of deep gladness?

No comments: