Thursday, March 13, 2008

Giving attention

Sam Gosling and John Gottman found that we can learn a lot more about what people think by
observing their body language or facial expressions or
looking at their bookshelves and the pictures on their walls
than by asking them directly…
Explanations (of actions) particularly when it comes to the kinds of spontaneous opinions and decisions that arise out of the unconscious, aren’t necessarily correct. - p 155 Blink: The Power of Thinking without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell

I find this fascinating. Looking at the pictures on my walls can tell you more about my thoughts than directly talking with me? Really? [Sure, go ahead, here’s a picture of one corner of my living space: take a stab at discerning what I’m all about. Personally I think you’d get more from looking at my bookshelves…]

To whom or what do you pay attention? I recently read an article of a fund-raiser who predicted a donor’s giving preferences and capacity based on verbal and non-verbal observations during dinner; I was amazed at his detailed conclusions. I realize I am quite inept at paying attention to the world around me – I so easily default to my internal world – but I do recognize the value of and want to develop keener observational skills. Paying attention will help me get the whole picture, and move toward wisdom and living well in relationships.

I need help, that’s for sure. Staying in the moment, and pausing long enough to really NOTICE, are ways of being I want more of, along with giving attention to the Giver of all my moments.
…pay attention to my wisdom, listen well to my words of insight…” Proverbs 5:1
“Pay attention, come to me: listen and your soul will live.
Isaiah 55:3 (Jerusalem Bible)

To what lately have you been giving your attention?

No comments: