Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Pretty close to true

I often feel like I know pretty close to nothing, and that’s pretty close to true. But rather than get discouraged, I keep telling myself to simply enjoy what I do know and can learn, and capitalize on other’s exploration of informational resources. One ‘boss’ friend pointed me to a good post (and yet another good resource he directed me to is at http://conditioningresearch.blogspot.com!) awhile back referred to Mark Sissan’s Daily Apple 4 June 2008 “Definitive Guide: The Primal Blueprint” blog post [http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-primal-blueprint/].

Sissan compares what kept our ancestors healthy to what will keep us healthy. Here’s his “Primal Blueprint” list of behaviors that shaped our current genome, and will keep us living well today --
1. Eat lots of animals, insects and plants.
2. Move around a lot at a slow pace.
3. Lift heavy things.
4. Run really fast every once in a while.
5. Get lots of sleep.
6. Play.
7. Get some sunlight every day.
8. Avoid trauma.
9. Avoid poisonous things.
10. Use your mind.

A couple of fun ‘facts’ I noted in reading Sissan’s post --
* Intense anaerobic sprint bursts several times a week…” (he suggests, for example, six or eight short sprints up a hill, on the grass, at the beach… or repeated intense sessions on a bicycle) “…increase HGH release (HGH is actually released in proportion to the intensity, not the duration, of the exercise).
[That is simply said as #4 above. And why might it be desirable to have higher levels of HGH (human growth hormone)? “Research indicates that by increasing the natural amount of HGH in the system, the body may be able to reverse some symptoms associated with aging, like weight gain, loss of lean muscle, wrinkles, bone density, sexual drive and more.” from http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-hgh.htm. Note the use of “may be able to reverse…”]
* Sissan speculates that the reason we have a sweet tooth today is “an evolved response to an almost universal truth in the plant world that just about anything that tastes sweet is safe to eat.” [#9].

So, in partial conclusion, move fast occasionally and enjoy what is sweet. I think I can do that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your distillation of the "blueprint"! The one's easier to achieve than the other, though perhaps it'll count if I walk quickly to the vending machine.

(FYI, though, my blog's not that blog!)