Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Sacrifice of thanksgiving


This morning as I lay in bed, even though feeling some pain from an outpatient surgery yesterday, I felt grateful. Whether I experience great times or tough times I want to cultivate a "sacrifice of thanksgiving." Psalm 116:17

For some years upon awakening in a funky mood, I repeated a verse to myself: "This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it" (Psalm 118:24). I was impressed when I learned awhile back that the verse speaks of Jesus' rejoicing in the midst of facing the rejection of his people; He was "the stone the builders rejected..." (Psalm 118:22). I want to follow His example and offer thanksgiving in whatever the situation, knowing that God will do something cool. [That stone the builders rejected "has become the cornerstone; the Lord has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes" (Psalm 118:22b-23).]

There is much to appreciate, whether or not there is pain or rejection. To name just a few good things that come to mind at the moment: a body that heals, comfortable bed and restful sleep, care and prayers of friends, meals shared, love that prevails, amazing days.
My thoughts go to this well-known poem:

i thank You God for most this amazing
day: for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday; this is the birth
day of life and love and wings: and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any -lifted from the no
of all nothing- human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)
- e. e. cummings

No comments: