Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Different is good

There is in me a tendency to want to do it all, and do it well. So when I come up against something I don’t do well, or something I can’t do, or my limitations in general, I tend to get frustrated. (I know – it’s dumb – no one can do everything! We all have weaknesses and limits, right?).

Learning about personality type has helped reduce that frustration, moving me toward acceptance of limitations in self, awareness of natural tendencies, and appreciating differences in others.

I recently read an article on spirituality and extroversion in the Sept 2008 issue of Presence: An International Journal of Spiritual Direction. Nancy C. Reeves (who has also written a book called Spirituality for Extroverts: And Tips for Those Who Love Them) questioned both extroverts and introverts about spiritual practices. Contemplative prayer (such as: Christian centering prayer or meditation, or Eastern meditation) is often explained as the use of a word, mantra, phrase, or breathing to focus attention. If the mind wanders, it is gently brought back to the word(s) or breath focus. Most typically, it seems to be practiced among introverts.

Though many of the descriptions for contemplative practices seem to be more introverted, there are ways extroverts are contemplative. The extroverts Reeves researched described a practice of contemplative prayer that, though equally valid and beautiful, differed.
“The focus is on a wordless longing for connection with God. Thoughts and feelings that originate in the person are disregarded. When a ‘divine touch’ occurs, however, the person responds…the response is an outpouring of love, gratitude, awe, or a relinquishing of worry or pain. If at any time the person realizes he or she is thinking about the experience rather than being with it, the focus is returned to the longing for connection.”

I have a friend who has described “sitting in the presence of God until I feel His hug.” Though I can and do wish for that, it rarely happens; that wordless connection thing just is not my ‘default’ way.

It is good for me to experiment with various spiritual practices, and I will continue to do so. But it’s also good for me to cherish just the way God made me and understand that being and doing things the way I’m wired is good. Different is good!

Maybe someday I’ll even accept that not-being-able-to-do-it-all is good!

Now there are a variety of gifts, but the same Spirit… and there are a variety of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons. – I Corinthians 12:4, 6

No comments: