Thursday, February 12, 2009

Will not forget you

“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.”
-
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

I am beginning to collect iconic objects that aid in connecting with the spiritual. The most recent piece acquired – from Central America and gifted to me from my dear daughter – is a lovely symbol of the tender care of God. This tangible object reminds me that we are always in the lap of God’s heart, like a mother with encircling and nurturing embrace for her child.

"As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you;
And you will be comforted…"

-Isaiah 66:13

Even mothers though, saintly as they are or want to be, fall so far short of perfect love. I know: I have and do. But our original, best-mother-ever God, loves us supremely. She never forgets us.

Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! See, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands;

Your walls are continually before Me.

-Isaiah 49:15-16

No comments: