Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The given moment

I have a friend who writes essays around the theme of the hilarity of God. I am prone to agree that God has an interesting sense of humor. Take today for instance. This afternoon I read this quote:

"Christians emphasize the presence of God in all things, but they may tend to forget the envelope that contains it. Persons, actions, events are the medium through which God comes. The given moment is the only place one can meet God." (Christian Mindfulness, by Earnest E. Larkin)

Also today, all day, we had a bat fluttering around in the window of our den, trapped between glass pane and screen. As I watched and photographed him I was both fascinated and freaked out. In those moments I can't say that I was thinking that I was meeting God, nor was I laughing much.

But now I'm wondering if I might consider accepting the bat flutterings of this day as moments of meeting God. It does seem rather humorous. I must admit though that what I just wrote is easier to say now that my heroic husband has rid the window of its bat contents and this given moment is bat-less.

No comments: