Sunday, August 16, 2009

Whatever he says to you

“Whatever he says to you, do it.” – John 2:5

These few words from the gospel of John – from today’s church service passage on the story of Jesus turning water into wine – catch my attention. This week as I let the words roll around within me I thought, What does this directive look like for me today? And I realize, again, how big ‘whatever’ is and often I don’t do what Jesus says to do. And then I feel kind bad and sad and discouraged, like I can never measure up, like I’ll never get it right.

But I’ve learned that thoughts of discouragement are not from God. I appreciate the verse about one who prophesies (speaks for or in the way of Christ) doing so for “strengthening, encouragement, and comfort(I Cor 13:4). So I keep considering this phrase, asking God to permeate my thinking. And then it occurs to me that in these words Mary spoke to the servants there is a sense of expectation. A curious hope. A heads up that something is about to happen. I am drawn in.

I think – yah, when we listen to and do what Jesus says, unusual stuff can happen. Like in this story where vessels filled with water ordinary have their contents changed into best-wine extraordinary, miracles can be ours as well. Jesus can change our ordinary into extraordinary – like troubles (running out of wine) into pleasant surprises (gallons of best wine), like our discouragement into expectation, ache into comfort, sorrows into joy.

I will choose today to remember that Jesus WANTS to do me good – He cares for me. And it’s not just me. He’s crazy in love with us all. Did you know he’s especially fond of you?

Wanna join me in reminding ourselves of that?

"...casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you." - I Peter 5:7

No comments: