Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Comfort, that stealthy thing

Recently, friend Kurt shared a quote that both convicts and inspires me. It came to mind again when I was reading about Jesus’ encounters with the religious folk of his day. His words to them were bold and offensive, and his claim to be God – the I AM – outrageous! I call myself a Christ-follower: it follows that I am to act and be like him. I’ve got to say, outrageous makes me uncomfortable. Avoiding discomfort and pursuing comfort in my life is too high a “good” (I confess), all the while not being so good for me.

“…Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?

Ay, and it becomes a tamer, and with hook and scourge makes puppets of your larger desires…

Verily the lust for comfort murders the passion of the soul, and then walks grinning in the funeral…” – Kahlil Gibran

No comments: