Monday, January 14, 2008

Beginning again

Recently I've been frustrated with myself: I am afraid of failing. In thinking about beginning some new endeavors in the vocational realm, I get tripped up by putting pressure on self to do it - whatever it is - amazingly well, or at the least better than before. Though the quote below primarily focus on meditation, the words address my everyday. I need to often go back to this idea of releasing failed attempts, and beginning again. It IS a big deal for me to start over again, and to be gentle with self.

From an article in Health magazine on meditation -
"The truth is, maybe you have two to three breaths before the mind wanders...The point isn't to turn off thinking, but to watch what happens when your mind wanders, to notice it with almost clinical observation, then let go of the thought and simply go back to breathing. That's the essence of meditation: being aware of what you're thinking without getting caught up in it, releasing those thoughts, and starting over again.
'Simple instructions - practicing moments of letting go and beginning again -can have lifelong effects... It's a big deal to always be able to begin again. It says a lot about forgiveness and renewal, and being able to be gentle with yourself.'"
-----

I am soothed by the truth that God is gentle with me. He constantly lovingly reaches out to me, offering new beginnings.

Is this repeating phrase in the pages of Scripture a comfort to you as well as me?

"The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness..."
Psalm 103:8; Joel 2:13; Jonah 4:2; Psalm 86:15; Numbers 14:18; Exodus 34:6

2 comments:

C. J. Daniels said...

Thanks for this post!! New Years is full of new beginnings. My favorite song... "The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love." It's amazing that God gave these truths about Himself to Moses as his NAME. He owns them.

Anne, Leighton and Lilly said...

I remember reading an article with that advice in the Yoga Journal, which I subscribed to for a while; to just notice the mind wandering, not to judge it, but gently go back to the breathing, to begin again. Such simple words, yet such a meaningful piece of advice of reassurance and encouragement.

I'm impressed with all the sources you've gathered, many words of wisdom here in your blog! Anne