Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Soul Food

I recently obtained a beautiful rug. It feeds my soul to have such a thing of beauty: crafted with human hands, knotted from natural fibers of wool and cotton, vibrant with color from natural vegetable dyes, creative in design with floral and geometric motifs.

Why is beauty so desirable? What about beauty draws us?
I am drawn to so much of what is 'natural' and find most created things beautiful. I wonder if it is because God had a hand in it and He is beautiful? I see the Creator God in all His creation [Well, most all of creation; I still have questions about some things - like mosquitoes that seem both ugly in appearance and function, and like any of us humans who can act sometimes with such ugliness.]

It is said that Persion rugs will almost always include intentional imperfections. "There's an old Persian proverb that says, 'A Persian Rug is Perfectly Imperfect, and Precisely Imprecise.' This notion of intentionally including slight and minor irregularities is derived from the religious belief that God is the only perfect being and that attempting absolute perfection would be claiming the position of the Almighty." http://www.persian-carpet.info/classification-of-persian-rugs.php

So, I gaze at my rug and it reminds me of both me and God. In the imperfections I am reminded that I am not God (like I need to be reminded of that!) but that God finds beauty even in imperfect me (and all human beings). And in the beautifully crafted design and color in the rug - in all beauty - I see God and my soul/spirit is refreshed.

Does beauty draw you in, or feed your soul? What is beauty to you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The rug is lovely.