Sunday, January 6, 2008

Melting fat

Mind body connections continually fascinate me. Our thoughts generate (or are) chemicals and greatly affect our physical beings. An embarrassing moment causes some to blush. An anxious thought releases stress hormones. A belief that something will help does help (i.e., the decrease of pain seen with placebo).

I just read in the Jan/Feb 2008 issue of Health that if I'm convinced I'll melt fat while exercising, that thought will help me lost fat faster, due to the mind-body connection.
"In a 2007 Harvard study, participants who believed they were getting a good workout showed greater reductions in body fat than subjects who performed the same activities but didn't feel like they were really exercising."

So, you betcha, when I exercise I'm going to visualize my fat melting away and tell myself I'm giving it my all. I'm into using any advantage I learn of, especially when it's as sweat-free as a thought.

No comments: