Thursday, January 3, 2008

What "forms" you?

Love forms us.
"There are two utterly different forms of religion: one believes that God will love me if I change, the other believes that God loves me so that I can change... Ideas inform us, but love forms us - in an intrinsic and lasting way." - Richard Rohr, The Enneagram

This basic behavior modification assertion rings true to me:
"If yo
u reward someone for something that is good, he will give more and more in the direction of the ideal, but if you punish him for something that is bad, he will remain stagnant at the original level." - B.F. Skinner


I am motivated to do and be better when I get positive input, and quickly discouraged when I get negative. My default is to correct - self and others - so it's been a long and steep learning curve to aim to see the good, and look for what can be rewarded, which I'm convinced is what God does with us. Recently, my dear daughter orchestrated a precious gift of a scrapbook that contained many friends' and family's words of affirmation and stories about me (a thousand thanks to you who contributed!). I read those words of love from others, as from God too, and they make me want to be nobler and lovelier.
"...fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out." Romans 12:2 The Message translation

Love forms me. How 'bout you?

1 comment:

CRN said...

I see you found Richard Rohr...or did he find you?

CNrdgrn