Saturday, January 5, 2008

When I grow up

I still haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up. Unless I can just say that I wish for "wise." As far as a vocation goes though, I seem to have a tough time even dreaming up an ideal job. Or getting compensated monetarily for what I love to do.
I can identify some gifts and desires
(thanks in part to some concise, easy-to use materials called LifeKeys) and have formulated a personal 'mission' statement [to nurture people to increasingly live well and love God]. But I'm still trying to live into Frederich Buechner's profound words

"The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness
and the world's deep hunger meet."


Though I'm embarrassed to not be farther along in my vocational decisions, maybe my calling involves more process than outcome.

Maybe for any of us what is most important is exploring that deep gladness? And being, moment-by-moment, attentive to the intersections of our deep gladness and the deep hunger among us?


1 comment:

Rebekah said...

i think the phrase "maybe my calling involves more process than outcome" is beautifully written and both comfortably self-aware and also self-propelling to continue searching. :) i love you